It is common for substance abuse and mental illness to go hand in hand. In many cases, one starts the cycle for the other. Individuals who are struggling with mental illness and substance abuse require a dual diagnosis treatment plan that can address both issues. The best place for dual diagnosis treatment is a facility that understands and has had success treating both issues simultaneously.
Dual diagnosis individuals have unique needs in that both the mental illness and the substance abuse addiction are properly addressed. If both issues are not addressed, the cycle of addiction continues:
- The addicted person uses their substance of choice
- In response to the substance, the user’s brain is flooded by neurotransmitters
- The addicted person experiences a high feeling in response to the excess neurotransmitters
- The user’s brain regains balance by purging neurotransmitters from the brain, including neurotransmitters that are naturally present in the brain
- The user’s high ends and they begin to come down
- Due to the depletion of natural neurotransmitters in the brain, the addicted person experiences anxiety and depression
- The addicted person uses their substance of choice to self-medicate
People who are born with mental illness are more likely to become addicted to alcohol, drugs or prescription medication. Many individuals find themselves abusing substances in an attempt to address the symptoms of their illness.
Dual diagnosis treatment must take into consideration both the addictive behavior and addressing mental illness. This requires individualized treatment plans that can isolate and focus on the unique needs of each specific client in an inpatient setting.
Summit Estate Recovery Center provides individualized, luxury dual diagnosis treatment in a comfortable and private setting. By taking care to understand the specific needs of each individual, Summit Estate is able to create the right approach to set the foundation for recovery and long term sobriety. Treatment at Summit Estate includes:
- Involving each client in establishing their treatment plans
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Individual counseling
- Offsite and onsite group meetings
- Interactive sessions that address specific areas of need
For additional information on the programs available through Summit Estate, contact them today. Please complete the form linked below or give Summit Estate a call at 800-701-6997. Thank you.